I'd like to invite you to consider this: 200 years ago this month slavery was abolished in Great Britain through the work and prayers of many, not the least, William Wilberforce. Sadly, it was too many years before abolition occurred in our beloved country. And believe it or not, it was relatively recent, that suffrage was given to African Americans, people loved, gifted, and created by God: people for whom Jesus died.
Yet, even today there are 27 million slaves in the world. I heard a statistic recently that says that around 10,000 people are brought into the United States as sex-workers. Women and young girls forced to sell themselves or be faced with severe bodily harm.
What I'd like to ask you to do is check this out( place your cursor over the link and CTRL + Click, if it doesn't automatically). Pray for and consider supporting this effort. The movie, Amazing Grace, which is about the tenacious efforts of William Wilberforce to cultivate a conscience within his people to such heinous treatment of others. We were invited to an early screening of the movie and I am still profoundly moved at its staggering truth and even more staggering implications for today. May God grant us such leaders for today.
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment