Barb and I spent the weekend recovering from some kind of stomach bug. God was gracious in that when she was sick the first two days I was well and could take care of her. And when I was sick the last two she was able to help me. Robert and Mandy were good enough to call and drive by the house to see if we were still alive--yes, but barely it seemed. Two are better than one--and four are better than two.
There's a lot of t.v. watched during illnesses like that, for better or worse. I must say that this time it was for the better. I watch a very limited about of news every day (about 30 minutes) because much is repeated. Yesterday I watched a Sunday morning interview with the chair and co-chair of the Iraq Study Group--Baker and Hamilton, who, along with others, offered 79 recommendations concerning the current situations in Iraq. I continued to listen to a panel of foreign diplomacy experts and analysts. It was quite eye-opening. Each, as you know, have grave concerns over what's happening in Iraq. It was quite alarming to hear someone I respect say, "It's on the verge of a meltdown." Every word and every paragraph struck me with dread--10-15 more years in Iraq? A divided country? Bad and Worse options? 300 Iraqis die a week? Almost 3,000 U.S. forces killed? And this is what struck me the most as I lay recovering--my lack of prayer over the whole matter.
How is it that I, a follower of Jesus, could pray so little for such a great matter? I don't believe that it is hopeless and that such a thing is out of the realm of prayer. So what is it? I can't really say that I know, but I do know I'm ashamed.
And as I was writing this my mind was called back to a familiar passage, Luke 18:1: "Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up." The text assumes at least 2 things: his followers prayed and that they had given up.
So, today I ask the Lord to help me not give up on praying for peace in Iraq, for his intervention in our troubles as a nation, and to give wisdom and courage to our President as he is currently making strategic decisions in relationship to the war this week. The Study Group offered 79, but I think I'll just add 1 more--prayer, which should be moved to the top of the list. You'd have to be sick and secluded with the flu not to know that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment